Saturday, June 20, 2015

Five Things I've Learned in New Zealand

In the short time I've been here, I've learned a lot about what it is like to live in The Land of the Long White Cloud.

1. The weather is completely unpredictable.

It doesn't matter what your weather app says. No chance of rain? Bring an umbrella. Raining on your side of town? It's probably sunny where you're going. And it will ALWAYS be windy somewhere you're going. 


Man, what I would give to sail on one of these babies. Can you say GAW-JUSS?! 


2. (Most) strangers are super kind.

When I first got here, I was completely blown away at how kind people are here. It's like they're drinking some kind of nice people juice or something. At first I found it kind of weird, but when you're surrounded by such beauty, it's HARD not to be happy and nice all the time! The second day I was here, my dad and I went mountain biking. I met this super nice woman who offered her house as a place for me to stay if I was ever down in the area. Later that day, I met a guy on a tour who gave me his information incase "shit hit the fan." The genuineness of the people here just astounds me. I haven't met a rude or mean New Zealander. Yet. (And hopefully it stays that way!)


3. Kumara chips are the best things in existence.

Oh, kumara. How I loveth you. I think kumara is the equivalent of a sweet potato? It's almost smoother? More sweet? Not sure. It's some kind of root vegetable grown in New Zealand... A lot of restaurants here have french fries made out of kumara and they are amazing. I'm already trying to figure out how I'm going to get them back in the States.

// via // 

4. Walk where you can because gas -- ahem, PETROL -- is bloody expensive.

I filled up my gas tank the other day and it was $95. NINETY FIVE F***ING DOLLARS. So 30 minute walk? No problem! Raining? No problem! Anything is better than spending almost $100 on gas.

Speaking of which, here you fill up your tank first, and THEN you pay for your gas. I mean, what. How crazy is that?? Frickin' New Zealanders. They're too nice for their own good.


The top of Mt. Eden is stunning. That is all.

5. EVERYTHING is expensive. 

I went to the shop yesterday and spent $16 on a little face wash. It wasn't anything special, just Nivea or something. And that was the cheapest one I saw!! Everything in the grocery is really pricy, too. Eggs? $6. Milk? $4 for a half litre. Clothes? Oh lawdy. Don't even get me started. It's kind of nice because the US dollar is a little stronger, but it doesn't really matter that much because I'm being paid in NZ dollars, but whatever. The thought is nice. 

But you know what? I absolutely love this place.



No comments:

Post a Comment

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN
POWERED BY BLOGGER